Today was Brian's first day to be working. He left before we got up. He said that he had a little trouble getting started but he was able to get a lot done.
The boys and I got up, had breakfast, then decided to venture out alone. I had to pick up more milk and bread so we headed to the grocery store. Evan screamed the entire time we were in there. Sweet little ladies were saying things to me (in French) so I would just smile and say "merci". They could have been saying that I was the worst mother in the world for all I knew. Anyway, I have been so worried about people being rude to me. Well, I (knock on wood) have had quite the opposite experience...granted I've only been here 4 days. At the store, I was in line behind 3 other shoppers to check out. They all stepped aside to let me go first. I don't know if they felt sorry for me or if they didn't want to hear him screaming anymore. Regardless, it was so nice. All I could say was "je suis desole, merci" (I'm sorry, thank you) over and over.
A note on my French (this is humor for you Uncle Lee)... I have been answering "si" probably 50% of the time. I have said "lo siento" several times. I have said "no comprendo". I have also said "no se" which I'm not even positive what it means. I think it means "I don't know". So my French and Spanish are intertwining quite a bit. I'm sure people think I'm nuts.
So after we left the grocery, we stopped at a playground outside of the store. A lady (walking her cat on a leash...I will try to get a picture next time) walked up and started talking to me. With our Frenglish/Engrench we realized that she has been trying to teach herself English and I am trying to learn some French. We talked for a while. She see-sawed with Luc. Luc played with her cat. She asked me to meet her there again tomorrow so we could teach each other more of our language. I think this will be a good way for me to learn some things. It has been SOOOOOO difficult for me to teach myself. I CANNOT pronounce words correctly.
On our way home, we stopped by a fruit stand because Luc wanted some he saw. I was a bit worried. The lady whom we are renting from warned me about the rudeness of market people because they don't like English-speaking people. So there was an older man who knew no English but he was very nice to me. I think it will be my go-to fruit stand from now on.
That's all we did alone today. When Brain got home, we went to the frozen food store. By the way, this is the best idea ever. It is a store, with only frozen meals that you heat in your microwave or oven.
4 comments:
Love the new blog look! Sounds like you are having some fun experiences. And I even got a kick out of you speaking Spanish to them. Sounds like something I would do and if they really replied back in Spanish then I still wouldn't know what they said.
Wow! What an adventure! I am so impressed with you getting out there...I guess it helps to have kids to feed that need bread, milk, etc! We miss ya'll, thanks for posting! I looooveee getting to "participate" in the adventure!
i want a frozen food store. i bet those frechies love your sweet alabama accent!
Hey Noelle! Thanks for joining my blog, which helped me find yours. I keep doing the same thing - I cannot tell you how many many times I've said 'bien' to someone, which means 'well' in Spanish. I have a French teacher but he cancels a lot. The boys are taking French. I thought we'd be able to catch you in Paris when we fly through in December but you'll be gone by then. Talk to you soon - let's Skype!
Post a Comment