This might be the wierdest thing I've ever participated in. Today is National Breastfeeding Challenge Day. Austin participated with many other cities and countries in trying to get the most women and babies in one place at the same time breastfeeding. I think the record was set in Sydney a couple of years ago with over 1,000 babies breastfeeding at the same time. Well, in Austin today there were 103 of us. They do this every year to promote breastfeeding.
I will pre-appologize if I offend anyone but I have to give my opinion about something. I definitely think breast is best....but when you have a baby NOT A TODDLER or worse a PRESCHOOLER. I am no scientist but I wouldn't think my anti-bodies would protect a 4 year old like they do when you nurse a baby. For that matter, I don't know how much nutrients a 4 year old gets from nursing. Anyway, there were 3 and 4 year old kids out there latched on. I just think that could scar a kid. I would have taken pictures of them if I could have done it conspicuously. Anyway, Luc will not still be nursing 4 years from now.
Oh yeah, ask Brian how awkward he felt today. There are lots of not so modest people out there. Lots of people don't bother trying to hide their boobs when they nurse. It was a bit awkward even for me. I think even Luc must have felt awkward. He wouldn't eat.
3 comments:
I'm still trying to get used to seeing women nurse in public here. I do think there shouldn't be such a stigma attached to it. (But maybe all those breast-bearing, preschool-nursing moms have something to do with that.) And good for you for keeping BF Luc up. I know it was a struggle at the beginning.
Yeah, I guess I forget to warn you it was a little awkward for me too last time I went. I don't remember seeing a bunch of older kids nursing, I don't wish for a picture of that...but I do wish I had a picture of Brian's face of shock! ;)
I didn't even know they did this here! It doesn't shock me at all to see people breast feeding. I am about to join them! But I think you are right, seeing toddlers and preschoolers doing that is just a bit odd.
Post a Comment