Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Things Luc says at 3 yrs, 4 mos that I hope I remember

3 years old has not been the best year for me and Luc so far. I hate that I have been so impatient with him. Sometimes I really feel like the biggest failure as a mom for Luc. I feel like I tell him "No, I'm busy" "Stop it Luc" "Go play" "Get out of the kitchen"...all the time. I don't think I spend enough fun time with him...or Evan.

I love his imagination right now. I really love to sit back and listen or watch him play. He is also very sweet and loving sometimes. Luc really is the most fun kid I know. I have difficulty with his hyperness and aggression. When he gets tired, it is important to get him in bed quickly. He can get out of control.

Okay so here are my top favorite things that Luc says right now.

"busy" = "tired" When he has to walk up the stairs to our apartment, especially after playing hard at the playground or swimming or after doing anything really active: "I'm busy; I'm not tired, I'm just busy"

"dong" = "gone"  "Mama, is

"anyfing" = "nothing"   Me: "Luc what do you have in your mouth". Luc: "Anyfing Mama. I have anyfing in my mouf"

"dukie" = "cookie" I don't know about this one. He messes up the vowel and all.

You would think a speech pathologist would have a child with perfect speech. Luc has quite a few articulation errors still but I have to admit some a really cute. Most are age appropriate errors. His problem is that he has trouble with most of the "age appropriate" errors. We have been working on the "k" and "g" occasionally. I guess I should probably work on it a little more. Anyway, here are some of his substitutions.

/k, g/ in some words are still /t, d/ - We have been working on this one though.
/l/ is /w/ which is unfortunate since his name is Luc...or should I say "Wuc"....which used to be "Wut"
some /r/ are /w/
"ch" and "j" are /d/
"th" sounds are /f/

Another speech problem we are having is fluency. Luc stutters...a lot at times. I am hoping this is developmental. Sometimes when kids have a high language skills, they have difficulty organizing their thoughts into words. That's what I hope is going on. This boy does have great language skills. I love that he uses big words like "actually", "definitely", "annoying", "beautiful", "amazing" and in the appropriate context. And I love that he doesn't understand how to the words "busy" and "anything".

Luc loves to make up songs, "read" stories to his stuffed animals and occasionally to Evan, and make up stories. Of course he also loves anything active...especially if it is outside.

2 comments:

Kim P. said...

Ryan stutters too when he's trying really hard to say something. It's like his brain is going too fast for his words. I've seen Luc do it too. I'm not a speech pathologist, but I think these boys are just too smart for their own good =)

Kristen said...

i love that luc!! he is a little brown ball of energy and imagination. i think these "strong wills" our kids have will serve them well down the road, even if they drive us completely CRAZY right now. at least that is what i keep telling myself!

so glad you are blogging again!