Saturday, February 21, 2015

"Two Tickets To Paradise"...more like 5 and...

I have promised that I would try to keep up with at least occasional blogging while we are in Hawaii. So I'll write about the good, the bad, and the ugly about moving my whole family for a temporary travel position, about what it's like to live in "paradise", and about places we visit while we're here.

How it started: Back in September or October, I got an email from a company I used to work for about jobs in Hawaii. I asked a friend who still works for the company. Shortly after someone called me about it. I was somewhat interested but when the recruiter didn't call me back, I just blew it off.

During Christmas break someone from the company called me several times. I finally returned their call the second week of January. I listened to what they had to say, Brian and I talked about it, and we decided we couldn't do it for the price they were going to pay me. They called back the next morning and asked how much we would go for. After lots of calculating and thinking and praying, we gave them a price and thought we were done with it. They called me back the next morning and accepted my offer. They asked if I could fly out at the end of the following week. There was no way I could have possibly made that work but we decided to leave about two weeks later.

As most of you know, that two weeks was crazy. We tried to sell some things. We subleased our house. Our parents were with us most of that time helping pack, move, and clean. I was busting my butt trying to make sure my sweet babies at Capital Area Speech were in the best hands. I was trying to make sure the therapists covering them were prepared.

In all that chaos, some of our closest friends stepped up to help out so much. The Todd's housed us for a few days. Denise even cooked the most awesome Texas meal...full spread meal. My mouth waters thinking about that deliciousness. Caren watched kids for us while we moved. Ashley and Zac watched kids for us while we cleaned. Jason, Jeff, Scott, and Kelsi helped us move almost ALL day. Kristen and Jeff had us over for a yummy meal and fun friend time. Kim and Joe had us over from more yummy food and friend time. Jamie has been very supportive even though it wasn't the easiest situation for the office. Countless people have prayed for us, lent an ear, and asked how they can help. I can't even express how grateful we are for all of you. We really do have the best family and friends there are.

So here we are in "paradise", right?

No comments: