Obviously it isn't cheap to fly a family of 5 to Hawaii. Brian and I decided to save money that Luc and I would go out on confirmed tickets so that I could look for housing, get him enrolled in school, and begin work. Brian, Evan, and Madeline were going to fly standby meaning we weren't really sure when they would get to come.
Luc and I had a crazy flight schedule that went from Austin to Salt Lake City to San Jose to L.A. to Kona. It was really fine except that we got hungry. We were running to gates for some of those so we couldn't really eat. When we got on the Kona flight I finally splurged and bought us crazy expensive food. We left Austin around 8am and arrived in Kona around 8pm (12 pm CT). We were both exhausted.
After we gathered our luggage, we had to rent a car. That took forever. The 20 minute drive to our hotel room was super dark. The street lights that were there were orange so I kept thinking it they were caution lights. We arrived to the hotel about 20 minutes before the lobby closed. Our room was across the street, up a hill, in a very dark, sketchy parking lot. There were a couple of men outside smoking. I told Luc to get quickly get out of the car and help me get our luggage to our room. We lugged our 49 lb suitcase and our carry on bags up 3 flights of stairs. If you know me well you know I was super grumpy by this time.
Brian, Evan, and Luc were able to get on a flight the next morning. They flew directly from Austin to L.A. which sounded so nice until they experienced their 7 hour layover. I don't even know what all they did. Brian was a champ though. They arrived in Kona about 8pm (12 pm CT). Brian was exhausted. The kids had caught their second wind.
So we loaded up in our itty bity car and headed for the hotel.



No comments:
Post a Comment