Luc and I went home to Alabama for a few days. We flew standby (which you might not want to do if you have a baby with you and a job to get back to...luckily my job is pretty flexible). My uncle is able to view seating on flights so he was able to tell me that it wasn't a good idea to try to fly back home on Sunday. So we planned to come back to Austin Monday. The flights Monday were all overbooked. Luckily, Uncle Lee lives in Atlanta and was able to come get us from the airport so we could stay at his house. He took us to the airport Tuesday morning. Again the flights to Austin were overbooked but we were able to fly into San Antonio. Brian missed his class and picked us up. Typically, for standby passengers, your luggage doesn't board the plane until you are given a seat on board. For some reason, my suitcase and carseat did not get the "standby" tags put on them at check-in so they flew back to Austin on the first flight Monday morning. The worst part of the whole expeience was not having anything. Uncle Lee had to buy a carseat in order to pick us up. Also, Luc fell and bloodied up his lip on Monday. We both had blood all over our shirts and no clothes to change into.
So we are back in Austin. I went to work today. While meeting with a parent, I heard all this craziness outside. Another speech pathologist ran in and said it was hailing outside. We went to a window and saw back windshields of cars in the parking lot shattered. Sure enough mine was among the ones shattered. We thought just back windshields were shattered. When I saw my car though, I cried. It looked like this.... (Oh and this was after I pulled my car under a garage to view the damage)
Back windshield and driver side back window
Busted tailight and dents (that you can't really see in the picture) all down the side of my car
If you run your hand on the inside of the front windshield, you'll get cut. It hasn't fallen in but it's messed up.
Even bented my mirror back
Sunroof completely shattered
This is not my car. This guy was driving at the time. I thought it is so weird how there are circles all in his back windshield and it didn't shatter.
4 comments:
I am glad you are ok and were not driving when the storm came through. So sorry about your car. I know it will be a pain, but at least it can be fixed.
uggggg. that totally sucks!!! that storm came out of nowhere. glad you guys weren't driving in it.
I feel you're pain about flying standby. Luckily I've had better luck flying with Morgandy. That totally stinks that they didn't pull your bags.
And I think your luck may be tied to your car. Remember when it was "stolen" for 5 minutes last summer?
Hopefully you'll be able to get it all fixed and good as new.
I'm so sorry! I know how much you love your car! I was home alone watching them say on the weather a tornado was coming straight for us. Pretty freaky. Luckily we didn't get a tornado or hail like that!
And yes, that's awful about flying and not having your bags and car seat. How frustrating! Glad you're home though.
Post a Comment